Founded in 1957, the Women’s Committee operates exclusively to promote the cultural and educational value of Carnegie Museum of Art to the community by increasing the museum’s visibility, providing financial support, and expanding its community outreach.
Since its inception, the Women’s Committee has funded the purchases of acquisitions, participated as a major donor in endowment and capital campaigns, contributed to the museum’s infrastructure and gallery renovations, and made meaningful and impactful pledges, including most recently, a gift of $100,000 in support of The Milton and Sheila Fine Collection exhibition. Cumulatively, the Women’s Committee has contributed more than $10 million to Carnegie Museum of Art.
The Women’s Committee also underwrites and decorates the Carnegie Trees as its annual signature tradition, and gift to the Pittsburgh community, since 1961. The presence of soaring evergreens in the museum’s Hall of Architecture signals the official kick start of the museum’s festive holiday season, a joy-filled time of year for staff, volunteers, and visitors from near and far.