Enjoy this guided breathing meditation paired with a photograph by Ansel Adams called Tetons and Snake River. Follow along with the audio or text below.
- Take a few moments to slowly scan the photograph. Begin with the foreground. Then move slowly to the middle ground and then to the background.
- Notice the subtle details conveyed through the gradients of black and white in the clouds, the snow-covered mountains, the forest, and the river.
- Now, focus your attention on the river, and observe the gentle ripples in the water.
- Close your eyes and imagine your consciousness is the river. Each thought is like a ripple in this river of consciousness.
- As a thought enters the mind, acknowledge it, and then let it float by. Do the same with the next thought. There is no need to judge the thought, simply notice it, meditate on it, and let it go.
- Continue like this, observing the gentle ripples of thoughts that pass through your river of consciousness, drifting towards the mountains, then up to the sky dissipating with the clouds.