Enjoy this meditation on thoughts, paired with By the River by Edward Willis Redfield. Follow along with the audio or text below.
- Breathe deeply as you look at the painting.
- Focus your attention on the river. Notice how the brushstrokes make the water appear to be moving slowly despite the chunks of ice in the left corner.
- Close your eyes and imagine your consciousness is this river and each passing thought is a small piece of ice.
- Stay in the present moment by observing each thought as it passes by.
- Label each individual thought and meditate on it until a new thought emerges. Some thoughts you may observe are memories, planning, sounds, or sensations.
- Try not to judge each thought. Simply acknowledge the thought and use it as a tool to meditate upon.
- Continue like this as you build awareness of your thought patterns and remain in the present moment.