Enjoy this meditation on thought visualization, paired with Untitled No. 21 (Second Theme) by Burgoyne Diller. Follow along with the audio or text below.
- Find a comfortable position and observe the painting.
- Notice the geometric organization of the lines in the painting.
- Slowly, with mindfulness, move your gaze along the horizontal lines of the painting. Then repeat the same exercise with each vertical line.
- Bring your attention to the grid created by the intersecting lines. Take note of the areas of primary color.
- Close your eyes. Consider the different thoughts that have been “fermenting” in your mind and begin to imagine your own geometric abstraction composed of lines and colors.
- How can you make sense of them visually? Put each thought in a different area of your composition. What shapes and colors do they form?
- Continue this visualization for as long as you wish to bring clarity, calm, and focus to the mind.