Enjoy this meditation on breath, paired with Hokusai’s Wave by Jack Youngerman. Follow along with the audio or text below.
- Find a comfortable position to look at the sculpture.
- Bring your attention to your breath as you calmly follow the curvature of the sculpture.
- Notice how the spiraling lines create the image of a wave. Follow each line beginning with the longest, outer most line on the right working your way inward to the shortest line.
- Continue to breathe calmly, through the nose if possible, as you move from line to line.
- Now, close your eyes. Keep focusing on the breath as you start to visualize the subtle rise and fall of waves within you.
- Gently restrict the back of the throat while you continue to breathe in and out through the nose. You might hear a soft sound reminiscent of a wave as you breathe.
- Remain focused on the sound and sensation of the breath as you visualize the gentle ebb and flow of waves within you.